About Me

My photo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
I am based in Perth, Western Australia. You might enjoy my books - The Dagger of Dresnia, the first book of the Talismans Trilogy, is available at all good online book shops as is Book two, The Cloak of Challiver. Book three, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation. I trained in piano and singing at the NSW Conservatorium of Music. I also trained in dance (Scully-Borovansky, WAAPA) and drama (NIDA). Since 1987 I have been writing reviews of performances in all genres for a variety of publications, including Music Maker, ArtsWest, Dance Australia, The Australian and others. Now semi-retired, I still write occasionally for the ArtsHub website.

My books

The first two books of my trilogy, The Talismans, (The Dagger of Dresnia, and book two, The Cloak of Challiver) are available in e-book format from Smashwords, Amazon and other online sellers. Book three of the trilogy, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation.I also have a short story, 'La Belle Dame', in print - see Mythic Resonance below - as well as well as a few poems in various places. The best way to contact me is via Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/satimaflavell

Buy The Talismans

The first two books of The Talismans trilogy were published by Satalyte Publications, which, sadly, has gone out of business. However, The Dagger of Dresnia and The Cloak of Challiver are available as ebooks on the usual book-selling websites, and book three, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation. The easiest way to contact me is via Facebook.

The Dagger of Dresnia

The Dagger of Dresnia

The Cloak of Challiver, Book two of The Talismans

The Cloak of Challiver, Book two of The Talismans
Available as an e-book on Amazon and other online booksellers.

Mythic Resonance

Mythic Resonance

Mythic Resonance is an excellent anthology that includes my short story 'La Belle Dame', together with great stories from Alan Baxter, Donna Maree Hanson, Sue Burstynski, Nike Sulway and nine more fantastic authors! Just $US3.99 from Amazon. Got a Kindle? Check out Mythic Resonance.

Follow me on Twitter

Share a link on Twitter

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Places I've lived: Manchester, UK

Places I've lived: Manchester, UK

Places I've lived: Gippsland, Australia

Places I've lived: Gippsland, Australia

Places I've lived: Geelong, Australia

Places I've lived: Geelong,  Australia

Places I've lived: Tamworth, NSW

Places I've lived: Tamworth, NSW

Places I've Lived - Sydney

Places I've Lived - Sydney
Sydney Conservatorium - my old school

Places I've lived: Auckland, NZ

Places I've lived: Auckland, NZ

Places I've Lived: Mount Gambier

Places I've Lived: Mount Gambier
Blue Lake

Places I've lived: Adelaide, SA

Places I've lived: Adelaide, SA

Places I've Lived: Perth by Day

Places I've Lived: Perth by Day
From Kings Park

Places I've lived: High View, WV

Places I've lived: High View, WV

Places I've lived: Lynton, Devon, UK

Places I've lived: Lynton, Devon, UK

Places I've lived: Braemar, Scotland

Places I've lived: Braemar, Scotland

Places I've lived: Barre, MA, USA

Places I've lived: Barre, MA, USA

Places I've Lived: Perth by Night

Places I've Lived: Perth by Night
From Kings Park

Inner Peace Blog

Inner Peace Blog
Awarded by Joanna Fay. Click on the image to visit her lovely website!

Versatile Blogger Award

Versatile Blogger Award
Awarded by Kim Falconer. Click on the pic to check out her Quantum Astrology blog!

Fabulous Blog Award

Fabulous Blog Award
Awarded by Kathryn Warner. Click on the pic to check out her Edward II blog!

Search This Blog

Saturday 17 May 2008

My family - and a new toy

I'm blogging a day early this week because this time tomorrow I'll be winging my way back to South Australia for four weeks. It's my daughter Billy's birthday on Tuesday and I'm also hoping to catch up with my friend Annalou while I'm in Adelaide. Then it's back to Mount Gambier for three weeks to spend time with my sisters Erica and Anne. It's Erica's birthday on 7 June and I want to be around for that.

I'm sure I'm not alone in finding that family has become more and more important to me as I get older. With both siblings and children, one has many shared memories and these form the basis of the ties that bind, I think. After all, we often have nothing else in common with other family members. That's certainly true in my case, at least. But then, how many people does one meet, family or otherwise, who love things as diverse as Shakespeare, Astrology, Family History, Meditation, Yoga and reading and writing fantasy? I don't know many people who share even two of those interests with me. That means I move in a variety of circles, most of which never intersect. Family is one of those circles, and an essential one.

I'm going home with an extra item of luggage - a brand new laptop! I was lucky enough to get it for only $490 after cashback (for which I have to wait six weeks or more) and by going into overdraft I was just able to grab it while it was going. It's an Acer Aspire 5315 with an Intel Celeron CPU 550@2.00GHz. Not that such facts mean a lot to me, technophobe that I am, but the nerds among you will no doubt have strong opinions as to its worth:-)

At the Shakespeare Club today we read Acts 1-3 of Cymbeline. I read Imogen for the first time ever. She is a lovable character: feisty, excitable and utterly devoted to and faithful to her husband, although one wonders why: Posthumus comes across as rather unlikeable. It's an incredibly complicated plot. Even more complicated than my WIP!

Apropos, the newest outline of book one of The Trilogy is taking shape. Perhaps I'll have it finished for next time I post. Then I just have to write the durned thang. A mere bagatelle.

Thanks for looking at my new website! When I return to Perth in mid-June I'll prepare posters to put up at the universities for second semester and also get some business cards printed. But right now I'd better go and pack, because tomorrow will be busy. There is a meeting of the Katharine Susannah Prichard Writers Centre's Specfic group tomorrow morning, after which I shall have to hurry to the airport.

6 comments:

Jo said...

Have a good trip and say Hi to Loulou for me. Give her a hug.

Marilyn Z. Tomlins said...

Satima -- hard to keep up with you these days, but do continue to have a good time.

Satima Flavell said...

Thanks guys. Annalou and I will no doubt drink a toast to you and all the other list members:-)

Anonymous said...

Bon Voyage, Satima, see you in June!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to your arrival.. great job on the web page!

Satima Flavell said...

I'm having a nice time here in Adelaide - saw Annalou yesterday and we talked and talked from 10.30 until 3.00! I'm currently listening to the rather exuberant birthday party Billy is having. I've retreated into another room:-)Off to Mt Gambier on Thursday and will post again from there. Hugs to you all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...