About Me

My photo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
I am based in Perth, Western Australia. You might enjoy my books - The Dagger of Dresnia, the first book of the Talismans Trilogy, is available at all good online book shops as is Book two, The Cloak of Challiver. Book three, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation. I trained in piano and singing at the NSW Conservatorium of Music. I also trained in dance (Scully-Borovansky, WAAPA) and drama (NIDA). Since 1987 I have been writing reviews of performances in all genres for a variety of publications, including Music Maker, ArtsWest, Dance Australia, The Australian and others. Now semi-retired, I still write occasionally for the ArtsHub website.

My books

The first two books of my trilogy, The Talismans, (The Dagger of Dresnia, and book two, The Cloak of Challiver) are available in e-book format from Smashwords, Amazon and other online sellers. Book three of the trilogy, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation.I also have a short story, 'La Belle Dame', in print - see Mythic Resonance below - as well as well as a few poems in various places. The best way to contact me is via Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/satimaflavell

Buy The Talismans

The first two books of The Talismans trilogy were published by Satalyte Publications, which, sadly, has gone out of business. However, The Dagger of Dresnia and The Cloak of Challiver are available as ebooks on the usual book-selling websites, and book three, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation. The easiest way to contact me is via Facebook.

The Dagger of Dresnia

The Dagger of Dresnia

The Cloak of Challiver, Book two of The Talismans

The Cloak of Challiver, Book two of The Talismans
Available as an e-book on Amazon and other online booksellers.

Mythic Resonance

Mythic Resonance

Mythic Resonance is an excellent anthology that includes my short story 'La Belle Dame', together with great stories from Alan Baxter, Donna Maree Hanson, Sue Burstynski, Nike Sulway and nine more fantastic authors! Just $US3.99 from Amazon. Got a Kindle? Check out Mythic Resonance.

Follow me on Twitter

Share a link on Twitter

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Places I've lived: Manchester, UK

Places I've lived: Manchester, UK

Places I've lived: Gippsland, Australia

Places I've lived: Gippsland, Australia

Places I've lived: Geelong, Australia

Places I've lived: Geelong,  Australia

Places I've lived: Tamworth, NSW

Places I've lived: Tamworth, NSW

Places I've Lived - Sydney

Places I've Lived - Sydney
Sydney Conservatorium - my old school

Places I've lived: Auckland, NZ

Places I've lived: Auckland, NZ

Places I've Lived: Mount Gambier

Places I've Lived: Mount Gambier
Blue Lake

Places I've lived: Adelaide, SA

Places I've lived: Adelaide, SA

Places I've Lived: Perth by Day

Places I've Lived: Perth by Day
From Kings Park

Places I've lived: High View, WV

Places I've lived: High View, WV

Places I've lived: Lynton, Devon, UK

Places I've lived: Lynton, Devon, UK

Places I've lived: Braemar, Scotland

Places I've lived: Braemar, Scotland

Places I've lived: Barre, MA, USA

Places I've lived: Barre, MA, USA

Places I've Lived: Perth by Night

Places I've Lived: Perth by Night
From Kings Park

Inner Peace Blog

Inner Peace Blog
Awarded by Joanna Fay. Click on the image to visit her lovely website!

Versatile Blogger Award

Versatile Blogger Award
Awarded by Kim Falconer. Click on the pic to check out her Quantum Astrology blog!

Fabulous Blog Award

Fabulous Blog Award
Awarded by Kathryn Warner. Click on the pic to check out her Edward II blog!

Search This Blog

Sunday 26 August 2018

The Cloak of Challiver, Prologue and Chapter One

Prologue

* * *

Jedderin carefully lifted the shrubby branches that blocked his path, willing them to make no sound as they brushed each other and his clothing. Stealth was essential, silence imperative, if he was going to get his son back.

Only he wasn’t getting him back: he’d never had him in the first place. Anger at Norduria and Fiersten for keeping him from his boy arose in him for the thousandth time. If he did succeed in snatching Everan now, he would never let him go again.

And there he was, the precious child, counting a collection of pebbles. He had sorted them into piles according to colour. ‘One, two, three, brown; one, two, three, four green…’

Jedderin’s heart leapt at the sound of the clear, musical voice he’d never heard in all the child’s four years. He took a step forward, longing to scoop his son up into his arms, but on the other side of the clearing, Auberin put up a hand that clearly said ‘wait’. He was still creating wards, as were Ellyria and Ostrin in the other two quarters of the circle. They must make no mistake this time. Any time now, his mother and her paramour would start to teach him basic magic, and the boy must not be corrupted. If he learnt magic at all, it must be the right kind — the kind that helps people. The sort of magic Ellyria had taught Jedderin, Auberin and Ostrin, years before.

Jedderin pulled his mind back to his spell-casting and finished the warding of his quadrant. The four nodded to each other.

Now, Jedderin! Auberin’s command rang in Jedderin’s mind, but he was already halfway across the clearing. He scooped Everan into his arms as the others hastened to join him. Ellyria was already mouthing the vortex-summoning spell to carry them safely back to Stavershall.

Part One: twenty-one years later 

* * *
Ellyria stretched up her arms to the sun-drenched sky and drew in a deep breath. Such a lovely early summer’s morning for a walk in the orchard! But it wouldn’t be a long walk. Any time now, they would have to leave for Dresnia for the boys’ birthday celebration.

The boys! Ellyria smiled. They hadn’t been boys these twenty years and more, but she still thought of them as her babies, and always would. Yet today was their fortieth birthday. She shook her head in disbelief, pausing under the plum tree beside the door that led to the seaward sally port. The young fruits were swelling fast in the unseasonably warm weather.

The sound of voices made her turn. Lyrien and Milana had entered the orchard and had their backs to Ellyria as Milana shut the gate. As always, Ellyria was struck by the contrast between the two girls: Milana, tall and slender, with blonde hair not unlike Ellyria’s own, and Lyrien, short, stocky and red-haired, a throwback to Fairstad’s family, like Polivana.

Polivana. Ellyria swallowed the lump in her throat as a laughing face surrounded by ringlets came to mind. The Dark Spirit’s first payment. Lady forbid that either of these two should meet the same fate.

The pair turned, Lyrien slipping her arm through Milana’s as they strolled down the path. ‘Just imagine, Mil, this time next year you’ll be an old married woman. That’s going to curtail your freedom!’

Milana grinned. ‘Only if Daddy has his way.’

‘Give this Prince Morifer a chance. You might even like him.’

Milana grimaced. ‘I doubt it. He’s thirty-three! That’s fifteen whole years older than me. And apparently he’s mad keen on hawking and hunting. He really doesn’t sound like my type at all.’

‘He looks quite handsome, though, from his portrait.’

‘That’s only to be expected. Artists always see the best in their subjects, don’t they? If I were really as pretty as the portrait my father sent to Falrouvia, there would be men lining up to court me every single day.’

Lyrien chuckled. ‘I’m sure there would be, considering the fat dowry your father is promising — Grandmamma!’

Ellyria held out her arms. ‘Good morning, ladies!’

The girls picked up their skirts and ran down the path to hug Ellyria. ‘I couldn’t help overhearing your conversation. So this marriage your father’s considering doesn’t appeal, Milana?’

‘Appeal? Spend the rest of my life in Falrouvia? It’s freezing cold there, and I’d hardly ever get back for visits.’

‘But you’ll have to marry someone, and Falrouvia is only a couple of days’ sail. If they were talking about sending you to Kyrisia I’d be worried, but really, Falrouvia’s not all that bad.’

‘Well, I don’t want to go, that’s all. Anyhow, why are they marrying me off at eighteen when Lyrien’s one and twenty and unwed?’

Lyrien shrugged. ‘Father has this strange idea that Linvar should marry first and ensure the succession by having a son or two. He wants him to marry a local girl rather than someone from the continent, and so far no one has measured up. She needs to come from a good, loyal family, not too rich and not too poor, and preferably not have brothers. Father says brothers-in-law might get ideas above their station and try to take the throne for themselves if Linvar were to die young. And he won’t have me marrying anyone until Linvar has an heir or two for the same reason.’

‘I haven’t seen Linvar for months,’ said Ellyria. ‘Is he still keen on handiwork?’

Lyrien nodded. ‘Yes. The latest fad is learning to plough, of all things. He’s spent hours and hours some days, out at the home farm, guiding a team of oxen up and down a field. I don’t know what he sees in it, myself.’

Milana’s creased brow suggested some deep thinking was going on. ‘Getting back to you not being allowed to marry until Linvar has an heir – is that fair? What if you met someone you really wanted to marry?’

Lyrien shrugged again. ‘It hasn’t happened yet, and I must have met every eligible man in the Islands. But I think it’s because since that business with Prince Nidvar, the whole family has become more aware of the importance of a secure succession.’

‘But that was years ago, cuz, and we’ve been at peace ever since.’

Ellyria broke in. ‘Nidvar was a troublemaker. And it was all a long time ago.’ She bent over to smell a lavender bush. ‘Isn’t this beautiful? And so early this year.’

Lyrien also bent over the fragrant plants, taking a deep breath. ‘It’s divine. I love herb gardens!’

Milana laughed. ‘Maybe you should get Grandmamma to teach you to make some of her magic potions!’

‘I’d like that, but I don’t think I’ve got time for herbalism as well as music. They are both pursuits that people devote their whole lives to, and I’ve only got one life.’ Lyrien stood up and stroked the leaves of the lavender bush, obviously reluctant to move on.

‘And a life that’s busy enough already, from the sound of things’, said Ellyria. ‘Are you looking forward to tonight’s party?’

The girls both nodded assent, but it was Lyrien who spoke first. ‘I’ll play with the musicians, if I’m allowed, and leave the dancing to Milana.’

Milana grinned. ‘I’m sure they’d rather see me dance and you play than the other way around. I can keep time all right but I can’t even carry a tune. I hope all our cousins will be there so I’ve got plenty of partners! Grandmamma, are Danvard and Pedwen coming, do you think?’

Ellyria shook her head. ‘I doubt it. They’re due back from Kyrisia anytime — they might even be home already — but even when they’re home they’re always off sailing with that Seafaring Academy your Uncle Volran founded.’

‘Well, we’ll find out tonight, I suppose. And we should be getting back, shouldn’t we — they’d nearly finished carting stuff down to the barge when Lyrien and I sneaked out.’

Lyrien pulled a flask from her belt and pulled out the cork. ‘It’s thirsty weather for this time of year, isn’t it?’ Her face lit up as she looked over down the path beside the lavender plot. ‘Ooh, look — apricots, already!’

She hastened down the path to the apricot tree. ‘Apricots are my favourite fruit! It will be ages before they are ripe, though.’

Still holding the flask to her mouth, Lyien reached up to squeeze one of the tiny fruit. ‘Oops!’ She lost her balance and the flask flew from her hand to land at Ellyria’s feet, spilling milk on the soil beneath the tree. ‘Oh Grandmamma, I’m sorry — did the milk splash your gown?’ She bent over and retrieved the flask.

Ellyria staggered and gasped, leaning one hand on the tree trunk and struggling for breath as she tried to calm her thundering heart. ‘No, no, I’m fine, Lyrien. Milana, I don’t suppose you know what rootstock they used to graft this tree?’

‘Yes, I do know, Grandmamma. It’s only an apricot tree because someone grafted apricot twigs onto the roots of a damson tree. One of the gardeners explained it to me. It’s fascinating. They cut sprouting leaf buds from one tree and somehow stick them into a slit on a different tree. Amazing, isn’t it?’ She turned to Lyrien. ‘We really ought to be getting back. Will you excuse us, Grandmamma?’

Ellyria nodded. ‘Of course.’ Her heart still pounded but she managed a smile as the cousins turned to leave.

Milana grabbed Lyrien’s arm. ‘Come on, Lyrien — Binny will be furious with me.’

‘You’re still frightened of your old nurse?’ Lyrien’s laugh rang out as the two girls started up the path.

‘You’d be frightened of Binny, too, if you’d felt her hand on your bottom as often I did when I was little!’

The gate shut behind the pair and their voices faded as Ellyria leant her back against the tree, shaking and fighting back tears. The old spell, the one she herself had cast twenty-two years before, taunted her mind. Get thee to hell and stay in hell, till hell be tired of thee. Or if heaven will’t till milk be spilt, ’neath apricots grown on a damson tree.

Gods in heaven! Her granddaughter had opened the door to the Dark Spirit.

* * *

Nustofer paced the floor of his cell bed to window, window to door, door to bed and back to the window. Years of pacing had worn a groove in the flagstones. He knew exactly how many steps each side of the triangle had. Three steps to the window, five to the door, four to the bed. Twelve steps. The same twelve steps, day after day, for twenty-two years.

He flexed his fingers and stretched. His body was still strong, just as the Dark Spirit had promised. Surely that meant the other part of the promise would eventually be redeemed? But his confidence grew thin sometimes. What was the point in having a healthy body that never aged beyond fifty, if he could not enjoy life? Sometimes he imagined his walk was around a tiny courtyard, with flower baskets on the walls. His bed became a seat where he might sit with a lover — a delightful young thing, fair of hair and slender of body. Like Ellyria.

But as for Ellyria herself — he spat on her! Foul witch that she was, she still roamed free in the world while he was buried here, far from home, far from the delights of love. The only consolation was that Ellyria would have aged twenty-one years. She would be a wrinkled old hag by now, no doubt.
Nustofer paused by the window and peered through the narrow aperture. There were tantalising glimpses of the forest-covered hills beyond the walls of the monastery that was his prison. He had not been outside those walls since he’d been incarcerated, all those years ago. And most days he never left his cell. If only the Dark Spirit would redeem the second part of its promise and come to release him!

The door rattled as the key turned. Dinnertime. On feast days, the inmates were allowed to eat in the refectory, but on most other days they were simply left to rot in their cells. Not that Nustofer wanted their company. They were all insane. The monks thought he was insane, too, but he knew it wasn’t true. He had been mad once: driven mad by the witch and her magic, but no longer. The Dark Spirit’s spell had cleared his brain and strengthened his body. Of course, Ellyria’s magic still lingered, so he still had the fits, but that wasn’t the same as being mad, was it?

Two novice monks brought his bowl of potage. The physicians thought he was violent, so they always sent two boys. Perhaps he did cry out and thrash about when the witch’s magic overtook him and the fits came, but they didn’t come as often these days. Yet he wasn’t allowed in the chapel because of the fits.

Not that he wanted to go to chapel, anyway. He had long since given his allegiance elsewhere.
He ate the food slowly, making the most of every mouthful. When your life revolves around three meagre meals a day, it’s best to stretch the few benefits. The next event would be the candle, which was brought every night at dusk.

And as usual, the novices came back for the bowl, bringing the fat stub of an altar candle and fire in a small cauldron to light it. They closed the shutter over the window, set the candle in its sconce, lit it and departed, with barely a nod to Nustofer as they left.

He sat on his bed, gazing at the candle in its wall sconce. The stubs always burnt out within an hour or so, and after that there was nothing to do but sleep. He might as well watch it burn, for there was nothing else to do now, either.

The candle flickered, creating shadows on the walls and ceiling. Its trance-inducing dance made shadows on the walls. He watched them leap and flicker and die, only to leap again. Their dance varied from night to night, depending on which draft was worse, the one from around the window shutters or the one from under the door.

A sudden rush of air, and the shadows took on a different pattern. Enormous wing shapes covered the walls. Nustofer fell to his knees, fear clutching his belly. He had forgotten the sheer terror the Dark Spirit’s presence engendered.

The terror lasted only a few wild heartbeats, to be replaced by an overwhelming joy. ‘You have come at last,’ he cried out. ‘I knew you would come, even after all these years!’

The Dark Spirit’s form gradually solidified in the candlelight. Nustofer had also forgotten how tall it was. Its head almost reached the ceiling and its shoulders were as wide as the trestles in the dining hall.

It smiled its cruel smile, and Nustofer shuddered.

‘Apologies, my friend’, said the Spirit. ‘I was detained by my hellish neighbours. But now it is time to take our vengeance on Ellyria and her house, is it not? Like you, I have had plenty of time to lay plans.’ The Spirit’s gaze flickered over Nustofer. ‘I think, my friend, it is time to renew that body of yours. Renew and, shall we say, make a few improvements.’

Nustofer flinched as the Spirit touched him on the forehead. He had forgotten that cold touch. He felt as if he was being stretched. He looked down to see that his thighs were visibly lengthening. He tried to get to his feet but found himself stumbling like a new-born colt.

The Spirit took his arm. ‘Careful, my friend. It will take you an hour or two to learn the distance from your head to your feet. Now, how about some new attire? You must be tired of that grey robe by now.  And how long is it since you last handled a sword?’

‘Many years, Your Grace. Many, many years. I entered the order when I was seventeen and have not touched a weapon since.’

‘Then you will need practice. I shall make sure you get it. But let me see… yes, black, I think, with a brighter-coloured surcoat.’

Nustofer looked down and found himself clad like a prince. Under his red and yellow surcoat, a coat of mail glinted in the candlelight. A weight at his left hip told him he bore a large sword. He glanced down. If the sword was worthy of its finely crafted scabbard, it must be a fine blade indeed. And a weight at his right hip had the satisfying feel of a purse well laden with coins.

The Dark Spirit gave him a mocking bow. ‘Splendid, Prince Morifer. Shall we go now, my lord?’
‘Prince?’ Nustofer’s heart leapt. Rank, position, all the money he could want, servants to command everything he’d always wanted would be his.

‘Yes, you are taking the place of a certain Falrouvian prince who has met with, shall we say, a misadventure on his way to court the very lovely Princess Milana of Syland.’ The spirit pressed a hand to Nustofer’s forehead. ‘You will have all his memories and abilities. Your own will fade into the background, and will seem almost a dream. Come now, your master-at-arms awaits.’

* * *

Ellyria made her way down to the dining hall, anxiety still gnawing at her. In her darker moments, she cursed her granddaughter, only to berate herself. It was hardly Lyrien’s fault that the spell has been framed in terms of apricots growing on a damson tree. Anyway, if the Dark Spirit was true to form, it would come to gloat at her sooner rather than later. She pushed the anxiety away and turned her mind to happier things. Soon the whole family would be together for the birthday.

She turned at the sound of someone coming up behind her, and forced a smile when she saw who it was. ‘Hello, Milana! You’re all ready for a party, then? You look a lot more grown up in that red velvet!’

‘Of course I’m grown up! You don’t see me often enough, Grandmamma. Are your students keeping you busy, that you visit us so seldom?’

‘I have only a couple of students at present, Milana, and they don’t consult me very often. How is your own practice coming along? Any luck with the scrying?’

Milana shook her head. ‘I practise sometimes, but I don’t think I’ll ever be any good at it, Grandmamma. I hardly ever see anything in the water and when I do I can’t tell whether it’s past, present or future or just something my mind has dreamed up.’

Ellyria laughed. ‘Never mind, my dear. There are plenty of worthwhile things to do other than magic. But do keep trying now and then. Maybe one day the lock will go ‘click’ and you’ll find yourself able to scry with the best of them. But what about your proposed fiancĂ©? Isn’t he coming to visit soon?’
Milana grimaced. ‘I’m afraid so. I know Daddy means the best for me, but the man is far too old, by my reckoning.’

‘Give him a chance, my dear. You might actually like him when you meet.’

‘Mm, that’s what Lyrien says, too,’ was Milana’s noncommittal reply. They descended the staircase and rounded the screen that separated it from the Great Hall. Beverak, Tammi, Linvar and Lyrien were already there, with Melrad and Edeanna with Urbancho, Milana’s brother.

Ellyria crossed to where Tammi stood chatting to Edeanna. ‘Where are Volran and Zavardi?’

‘Not here yet,’ Tammi replied. ‘You know how rough the channel can be this time of year. I suspect they’ve missed the tide and will have to be rowed in by boat instead of waiting for the ship to dock. Shall we sit down?’

Just as they were taking their seats a page announced the arrival of the Challivan royals. Volran, Ellyria noted, looked flushed and breathless. Both he and Zavardi were overweight. Their enormous appetites were the stuff of jokes, and not just within the family. Ellyria strode over to greet them with a formal embrace apiece.

‘You’re wearing the cloak, Volran! It’s not looking bad is it, to say it’s over twenty years since I wove it. Not an easy night’s work, I can tell you!’

Volran smiled. ‘It was worth it, Mother, to make such a fine piece. And it’s warm, too, so I don’t only wear it on ceremonial occasions.’

'I hope you put it on every day, Volran, as I instructed. It will lose its power to keep you and your bloodline safe if you don’t.’

‘Oh, he does wear it daily, Mother!’ Zavardi’s lovely dark face shone with love and pride. ‘And talisman or not, it really is quite the best-made cloak I’ve ever seen.’

‘Well, now he has a chance to show it off to the Dresnian court. Shall we sit down?’

They took their places at the high table, and Beverak gave the signal for the courtiers on the floor below to be seated.

‘Are the boys still in Kyrisia, then?’ Ellyria asked.

‘Yes, they are, but they should be back within the next few days,’ Volran replied.

‘Not that we’ll see much more of them when they are home,’ said Zavardi. ‘They still spend more time out with the Sea Training Academy than they do sitting in court with their father. They can wrap him around their little fingers, you know.’

‘Ah, they’re good boys, my dear,’ put in Volran. ‘They’ll settle down to more formal duties within a year or two, you’ll see.’

Ellyria resisted joining the argument. Kings’ sons should be trained to rule, but Volran had always indulged his boys. Heaven help Challiver if the pair didn’t settle down and anything happened to Volran… She pushed the thought away and reached for her spoon. The spell on the Dark Spirit was undone, and there was no point in fretting about it. Better to enjoy what happiness they could, for once the Dark Spirit showed its hand, chaos would surely reign again, for the dagger of Dresnia, lost these twenty-odd years, was still missing. Ellyria still clung to the remote hope that it would turn up, but that’s all it was, a remote hope. If it hadn’t been found by now, it probably never would be.

There was dancing after dinner, and Ellyria looked on fondly as Milana danced with Linvar. Lyrien was sitting with the musicians, merrily tootling away on a pipe, while Tammi and Beverak had joined the dancers on the floor, where trestles were still being pushed back as more and more couples joined the throng. If only life could always be like this!


But it couldn’t last. She’d tried to persuade herself that the Dark Spirit would not come back to claim the rest of its price for curing her sons, but it was just a silly hope. Poor little Polivana had been the first payment, and the spirit would want the lives of two more young women when it returned. She had taken every precaution in case this should happen. She’d made jewellery, well laced with protective spells, for both her granddaughters, and had set wards on all the royal residences — but no matter what she did, the Dark Spirit would surely find a way around it. She just hoped she would get some warning before it did.

Come back for Chapter Two tomorrow!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...