About Me

My photo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
I am based in Perth, Western Australia. You might enjoy my books - The Dagger of Dresnia, the first book of the Talismans Trilogy, is available at all good online book shops as is Book two, The Cloak of Challiver. Book three, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation. I trained in piano and singing at the NSW Conservatorium of Music. I also trained in dance (Scully-Borovansky, WAAPA) and drama (NIDA). Since 1987 I have been writing reviews of performances in all genres for a variety of publications, including Music Maker, ArtsWest, Dance Australia, The Australian and others. Now semi-retired, I still write occasionally for the ArtsHub website.

My books

The first two books of my trilogy, The Talismans, (The Dagger of Dresnia, and book two, The Cloak of Challiver) are available in e-book format from Smashwords, Amazon and other online sellers. Book three of the trilogy, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation.I also have a short story, 'La Belle Dame', in print - see Mythic Resonance below - as well as well as a few poems in various places. The best way to contact me is via Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/satimaflavell

Buy The Talismans

The first two books of The Talismans trilogy were published by Satalyte Publications, which, sadly, has gone out of business. However, The Dagger of Dresnia and The Cloak of Challiver are available as ebooks on the usual book-selling websites, and book three, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation. The easiest way to contact me is via Facebook.

The Dagger of Dresnia

The Dagger of Dresnia

The Cloak of Challiver, Book two of The Talismans

The Cloak of Challiver, Book two of The Talismans
Available as an e-book on Amazon and other online booksellers.

Mythic Resonance

Mythic Resonance

Mythic Resonance is an excellent anthology that includes my short story 'La Belle Dame', together with great stories from Alan Baxter, Donna Maree Hanson, Sue Burstynski, Nike Sulway and nine more fantastic authors! Just $US3.99 from Amazon. Got a Kindle? Check out Mythic Resonance.

Follow me on Twitter

Share a link on Twitter

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Places I've lived: Manchester, UK

Places I've lived: Manchester, UK

Places I've lived: Gippsland, Australia

Places I've lived: Gippsland, Australia

Places I've lived: Geelong, Australia

Places I've lived: Geelong,  Australia

Places I've lived: Tamworth, NSW

Places I've lived: Tamworth, NSW

Places I've Lived - Sydney

Places I've Lived - Sydney
Sydney Conservatorium - my old school

Places I've lived: Auckland, NZ

Places I've lived: Auckland, NZ

Places I've Lived: Mount Gambier

Places I've Lived: Mount Gambier
Blue Lake

Places I've lived: Adelaide, SA

Places I've lived: Adelaide, SA

Places I've Lived: Perth by Day

Places I've Lived: Perth by Day
From Kings Park

Places I've lived: High View, WV

Places I've lived: High View, WV

Places I've lived: Lynton, Devon, UK

Places I've lived: Lynton, Devon, UK

Places I've lived: Braemar, Scotland

Places I've lived: Braemar, Scotland

Places I've lived: Barre, MA, USA

Places I've lived: Barre, MA, USA

Places I've Lived: Perth by Night

Places I've Lived: Perth by Night
From Kings Park

Inner Peace Blog

Inner Peace Blog
Awarded by Joanna Fay. Click on the image to visit her lovely website!

Versatile Blogger Award

Versatile Blogger Award
Awarded by Kim Falconer. Click on the pic to check out her Quantum Astrology blog!

Fabulous Blog Award

Fabulous Blog Award
Awarded by Kathryn Warner. Click on the pic to check out her Edward II blog!

Search This Blog

Friday 30 March 2007

On the continent

Hey, I'm in Germany! It’s my first time ever on the continent, and I'm delighted to be here with my friends and distant rellies-by-marriage Elfriede and Sam, who met me at Frankfurt-Hahn airport and immediately bought me a meal before whizzing me down the autobahn (pretty scary to someone who is used to a 120km per hour speed limit!) to their lovely home in the Rhine Valley. (It reminds me of an Australian house - single storey and open plan living, with a gorgeous new bathroom that's to die for and a lovely garden!) Next, we took the family's dog for a walk around the vineyards, which are reminiscent of those of Coonawarra except they are set on gentle slopes. I need to do lots of walking (did you ever expect to see me write that?) to work off all this good German/Indian food Elfriede cooks.

This is an utterly charming place. Small towns dot the riverbanks, separated from it only by an excellent road that links them while allowing travellers to gasp at a new and beautiful vista at each bend in the river. This morning, Elfriede took me inland a little way to visit the medieval town of Idstein - right up my alley, as the centre of town is maintained in as close a manner as possible to its medieval roots. There is an imposing ducal palace with a fortified gatehouse and a monstrous tower inhabited by falcons and crows that dates back to the fourteenth century. It overlooks cobbled streets and carved half-timbered shops and houses, some of which date back to the same period. The whole area is restricted to pedestrians, which enhances the timeless atmosphere.

The tower was the scene of a witch hunt in about 1676 that resulted in the deaths by fire of nearly twenty women. Nearby, there is an ancient church, much of which dates from the fourteenth century, with a painted ceiling executed by artists of the Rubens school - and a magnificent pipe organ. I know it is magnificent because the organist was practising when we arrived and on the deep notes it felt as if the vibrations must surely call down the hosts of heaven and destroy the forces of hell. Extracts from the scriptures are painted on the walls and I was both amused and saddened to realise that they were all exhortations to women to be dutiful wives. When viewed in light of the witch hunt they reveal glimpses of a time when our ancestral sisters copped a pretty raw deal.

Elfriede shouted me a yummy meal at an Italian restaurant before we set off for home. She and Sam are, like everyone else I've met, extraordinarily kind and generous - not only financially but time-wise as well. I feel really nurtured and blessed and I just hope I'm not using up all my good karma at once!

I'm taking loads of photos and I hope that together with all the brochures I'm collecting they'll suffice to convey just a little of the beauty and interest of this fascinating place, especially to my quarter-German children:-) I hope to see the church where your ancestors worshipped and were wed and maybe snap the very font wherein your grandfather was baptised.

I am struggling with Sam's German keyboard to say nothing of trying to read Windows' dialogue boxes in that language so will give up for the moment:-) I hope you are all well and happy. Sorry for not posting to your blogs, friends, but I’m not getting a lot of computer time while travelling. Hopefully I'll get chance to redress the balance soon.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...