About Me

My photo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
I am based in Perth, Western Australia. You might enjoy my books - The Dagger of Dresnia, the first book of the Talismans Trilogy, is available at all good online book shops as is Book two, The Cloak of Challiver. Book three, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation. I trained in piano and singing at the NSW Conservatorium of Music. I also trained in dance (Scully-Borovansky, WAAPA) and drama (NIDA). Since 1987 I have been writing reviews of performances in all genres for a variety of publications, including Music Maker, ArtsWest, Dance Australia, The Australian and others. Now semi-retired, I still write occasionally for the ArtsHub website.

My books

The first two books of my trilogy, The Talismans, (The Dagger of Dresnia, and book two, The Cloak of Challiver) are available in e-book format from Smashwords, Amazon and other online sellers. Book three of the trilogy, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation.I also have a short story, 'La Belle Dame', in print - see Mythic Resonance below - as well as well as a few poems in various places. The best way to contact me is via Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/satimaflavell

Buy The Talismans

The first two books of The Talismans trilogy were published by Satalyte Publications, which, sadly, has gone out of business. However, The Dagger of Dresnia and The Cloak of Challiver are available as ebooks on the usual book-selling websites, and book three, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation. The easiest way to contact me is via Facebook.

The Dagger of Dresnia

The Dagger of Dresnia

The Cloak of Challiver, Book two of The Talismans

The Cloak of Challiver, Book two of The Talismans
Available as an e-book on Amazon and other online booksellers.

Mythic Resonance

Mythic Resonance

Mythic Resonance is an excellent anthology that includes my short story 'La Belle Dame', together with great stories from Alan Baxter, Donna Maree Hanson, Sue Burstynski, Nike Sulway and nine more fantastic authors! Just $US3.99 from Amazon. Got a Kindle? Check out Mythic Resonance.

Follow me on Twitter

Share a link on Twitter

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Places I've lived: Manchester, UK

Places I've lived: Manchester, UK

Places I've lived: Gippsland, Australia

Places I've lived: Gippsland, Australia

Places I've lived: Geelong, Australia

Places I've lived: Geelong,  Australia

Places I've lived: Tamworth, NSW

Places I've lived: Tamworth, NSW

Places I've Lived - Sydney

Places I've Lived - Sydney
Sydney Conservatorium - my old school

Places I've lived: Auckland, NZ

Places I've lived: Auckland, NZ

Places I've Lived: Mount Gambier

Places I've Lived: Mount Gambier
Blue Lake

Places I've lived: Adelaide, SA

Places I've lived: Adelaide, SA

Places I've Lived: Perth by Day

Places I've Lived: Perth by Day
From Kings Park

Places I've lived: High View, WV

Places I've lived: High View, WV

Places I've lived: Lynton, Devon, UK

Places I've lived: Lynton, Devon, UK

Places I've lived: Braemar, Scotland

Places I've lived: Braemar, Scotland

Places I've lived: Barre, MA, USA

Places I've lived: Barre, MA, USA

Places I've Lived: Perth by Night

Places I've Lived: Perth by Night
From Kings Park

Inner Peace Blog

Inner Peace Blog
Awarded by Joanna Fay. Click on the image to visit her lovely website!

Versatile Blogger Award

Versatile Blogger Award
Awarded by Kim Falconer. Click on the pic to check out her Quantum Astrology blog!

Fabulous Blog Award

Fabulous Blog Award
Awarded by Kathryn Warner. Click on the pic to check out her Edward II blog!

Search This Blog

Monday 16 April 2007

Back in England

After only a 55 minute flight from Hahn to London, I arrived back in London on Thursday. I stayed the night with dear Diana, who good naturedly puts me up - or puts up with me - whenever I rock up. I'm now in Winchester, which is, I think, the town I love best in England. This is my first visit and I was smitten within minutes, perhaps because of the gigantic statue of King Alfred in the square:-)

I met up with my e-cousin Alison from Canada, who had kindly invited me to join her in a most comfortable B&B, the Wolvesy View. Our host, John Harmer, was a delight and it would be hard to imagine a more obliging landlord. We met up with two more e-cousins: Ambrose from Ghana and Steve, who, being local to Winchester, was able to tell us all the best sights and sites.

Alison and I tramped ourselves almost footless for two days, including three wonderful hours in the town's magnificent cathedral. (If you saw The DaVinci Code you have already seen the north trancept, and I recommend a live visit to see the rest.) The next port of call was Milner Hall, which used to be the RC church where Alison's grandmother worshipped, and to our delight there was a harpsichord recital by a Miss Schmitt just starting. I feel bad because I can't remember the young lady's first name, but she was jolly good. The works were centred on the life and times of one John Bull, a contemporary of Byrd. We were entertained right royally for over an hour before proceeding back to the cathedral for a rapturous evensong. This morning we decided to spread ourselves thin - I went back to the soaring buttresses of the cathedral and Alison went to mass at St Peter's, then we spent a happy hour at the local museum, which has fine displays of Roman, Saxon and later archeological finds. I wish I could have stayed for several more days as there is so much of interest here!

Off to Salisbury now!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ho Traveller :-)
You must be getting terribly fit with all that walking! All is well here, although not nearly as interesting as your adventures.
xxx BJ

Satima Flavell said...

Yes, I've even lost a bit of weight:-)

Anonymous said...

Hallo Satima,
I am glad to read that you had a good and save flight back to London. Looks like you have a wonderful time in Winchester with your friend from Canada. Enjoy your homeland!! Seems there are a lot of new places even in England to see for you.
Elfriede

Helen V. said...

There you go making me jealous again. The nearest I get to Roman and Saxon ruins these days is Time Team.

Satima Flavell said...

Time Team is one of my fave progs, Helen. I wonder if you have a similar one in Germany, Elfriede? It's a BBC archeology show in which the team visits various sites, digging up heaps of interesting artefacts and info.

I'm paying £3 per hour for internet access so had better blog:-)

Unknown said...

"48 Hours with Satima", with many subtitles, as we did manage to cram a lot into our all-too-short visit. We were both quite entranced by the Cathedral, the High Street, and the Roman/Saxon/Medieval flavours wound throughout. After you left, Satima, another cousin met up with me at Winchester (from Surrey, my Dad's side). We traipsed about the eastern part of Dorset on Monday. On Tuesday, I tracked down houses and the cemetery where my great-grandMum's people are buried ... and then! (speaking of tramping oneself all but footless) John H. and I trekked to the top of St Catherine's Hill (think: steep climb) for panoramic views.
Best wishes to you on the remainder of your Anglaland adventures. Love, Alison

Unknown said...

p.s. Oh yes, the harpsicordist's name is Micaela Schmitt, trained at the Hague, in addition to several other renowned institutions.
p.p.s. From the "it's a really, really small world after all" department -- After you left, Satima, a subsequent guest, a lady who originates from Winchester but now lives abroad, was staying for the week, for the purpose of a large-ish family reunion. At one point over breakfast, she mentioned several of the lateral surnames involved, and one of them was one that I recognized from my recent visit to Dumfries & Galloway. I mentioned a gravestone that I had seen in the churchyard at Sweethear Abbey and (believe it or not), that was her ancestor!!

Satima Flavell said...

Alison, that whole trip was filled with serendipitous events. Maybe it's something in the air in Winchester!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...