About Me

My photo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
I am based in Perth, Western Australia. You might enjoy my books - The Dagger of Dresnia, the first book of the Talismans Trilogy, is available at all good online book shops as is Book two, The Cloak of Challiver. Book three, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation. I trained in piano and singing at the NSW Conservatorium of Music. I also trained in dance (Scully-Borovansky, WAAPA) and drama (NIDA). Since 1987 I have been writing reviews of performances in all genres for a variety of publications, including Music Maker, ArtsWest, Dance Australia, The Australian and others. Now semi-retired, I still write occasionally for the ArtsHub website.

My books

The first two books of my trilogy, The Talismans, (The Dagger of Dresnia, and book two, The Cloak of Challiver) are available in e-book format from Smashwords, Amazon and other online sellers. Book three of the trilogy, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation.I also have a short story, 'La Belle Dame', in print - see Mythic Resonance below - as well as well as a few poems in various places. The best way to contact me is via Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/satimaflavell

Buy The Talismans

The first two books of The Talismans trilogy were published by Satalyte Publications, which, sadly, has gone out of business. However, The Dagger of Dresnia and The Cloak of Challiver are available as ebooks on the usual book-selling websites, and book three, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation. The easiest way to contact me is via Facebook.

The Dagger of Dresnia

The Dagger of Dresnia

The Cloak of Challiver, Book two of The Talismans

The Cloak of Challiver, Book two of The Talismans
Available as an e-book on Amazon and other online booksellers.

Mythic Resonance

Mythic Resonance

Mythic Resonance is an excellent anthology that includes my short story 'La Belle Dame', together with great stories from Alan Baxter, Donna Maree Hanson, Sue Burstynski, Nike Sulway and nine more fantastic authors! Just $US3.99 from Amazon. Got a Kindle? Check out Mythic Resonance.

Follow me on Twitter

Share a link on Twitter

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Places I've lived: Manchester, UK

Places I've lived: Manchester, UK

Places I've lived: Gippsland, Australia

Places I've lived: Gippsland, Australia

Places I've lived: Geelong, Australia

Places I've lived: Geelong,  Australia

Places I've lived: Tamworth, NSW

Places I've lived: Tamworth, NSW

Places I've Lived - Sydney

Places I've Lived - Sydney
Sydney Conservatorium - my old school

Places I've lived: Auckland, NZ

Places I've lived: Auckland, NZ

Places I've Lived: Mount Gambier

Places I've Lived: Mount Gambier
Blue Lake

Places I've lived: Adelaide, SA

Places I've lived: Adelaide, SA

Places I've Lived: Perth by Day

Places I've Lived: Perth by Day
From Kings Park

Places I've lived: High View, WV

Places I've lived: High View, WV

Places I've lived: Lynton, Devon, UK

Places I've lived: Lynton, Devon, UK

Places I've lived: Braemar, Scotland

Places I've lived: Braemar, Scotland

Places I've lived: Barre, MA, USA

Places I've lived: Barre, MA, USA

Places I've Lived: Perth by Night

Places I've Lived: Perth by Night
From Kings Park

Inner Peace Blog

Inner Peace Blog
Awarded by Joanna Fay. Click on the image to visit her lovely website!

Versatile Blogger Award

Versatile Blogger Award
Awarded by Kim Falconer. Click on the pic to check out her Quantum Astrology blog!

Fabulous Blog Award

Fabulous Blog Award
Awarded by Kathryn Warner. Click on the pic to check out her Edward II blog!

Search This Blog

Sunday 20 July 2008

Moving on again

Tomorrow Juliet comes home so I will be moving to my son's place for a few days before taking up the next house sit. I'm looking forward to hearing all about Juliet's trip but I'm feeling very sad at the prospect of leaving the pets. It's a long time since I've had any animal friends and I've become very attached to these little guys. Here is a pic of Sonia and Gretel on a bed-takeover-bid. Aren't they cute?


This is a video of Outlaw and Gretel at the oval.

10 comments:

hrugaar said...

Gorgeous dogs ... and Gretel's ears are magnificent.

Satima Flavell said...

Yes, I think she has the most impressive ears of any dog I've ever met! I've never met a Miniature Pincher before but if Gretel is any guide I'd recommend them. She's a good companion and quite devoted to whoever feeds her:-)

Outlaw is more independent. He's a Kelpie - an Aussie breed of sheepdog that is now found world-wide, I believe. They are (usually) less highly strung than border collies while being equally good workers. However, Outlaw is a townie and wouldn't know what to do with even one sheep, let alone a hundred!

hrugaar said...

Doesn't Outlaw still have a natural herd instinct though? We had a dog that was part border collie and she would attempt to herd most things, especially seagulls in the fields or on the beach. But not cats.

Marilyn Z. Tomlins said...

Satima -- I've lost track of your travels. I thought you were home now.
Marilyn

Satima Flavell said...

Marilyn - HI! No, I'm still in Perth and will be here until November, doing a series of house-sits for friends. Right now I'm staying with my son for a week and then I have a one-week sit just a suburb away. After that I have to cross to the south side of the river (isn't it funny how all cities have Great Divide?)for a two month stint for another friend who is going on long-service leave for two months. From mid-October I sit for a month for another couple of friends who are off to India. All this house-sitting is enabling me to avoid winter in Mount Gambier, which can be cold, wet and bloody miserable. Hey, Perth's bad enough! I don't do cold...

Hrugaar, you're right. There is a distinct lack of cat-herding Kelpies. We should try to breed the right strains in order to produce more. I'm sure there would be a market for them:-) Actually both Outlaw and Gretel used to chase ducks but their owner went to a lot of trouble to talk them out of it! Now they just ignore them.

Jo said...

Glad the video is working. Yes I do see the trotting action - just. I agree, we should definitely produce a cat herding dog, although we already have dog herding cats.

Sounds like a good way of avoiding winter Satima, although we don't usually do wet and miserable in Canada, cold and snowy more like. So long as my home is warm and I don't have to go anywhere.... although once upon a time we used to wait for the snow to go cross country skiing.

Satima Flavell said...

Have you seen the funny You Tube video about herding cats? Someone must've gone to a lot of trouble to fudge that one!

When I lived in Massachusetts I used to admire my friends who used cross-country skiing as their mode of transport in winter! I quite liked the cold there. Once the snow's on the ground the air becomes dry and crisp and quite invigorating. (I imagine Canada is the same.) As long as I was well rugged up I didn't mind going out it in at all. Mount Gambier's winter, however, is like a Manchester November, only it lasts for about four months with an October and September on each end: i.e. April and November are like and English September and May and October are like an English October. The period from December to March is lovely, however, and I'm looking forward to being back in the Mount then, because Perth can be quite disgustingly hot in summer. It can get day after day in the high thirties or low forties Celsius. (For those of you who still measure in Farenheit that's century and above.)

The downside of winter in southern Australia, really, is that central heating is rare in private houses and given the energy crisis we're coming into that's probably a Good Thing. It's not nice to wake up to a cold morning though, because even here in Perth the overnight temperature in winter can drop as low as two degrees sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Re the Miniature Pinscher trot, it's called a 'hackney gait' and little purebreds are supposed to demonstrate it in the show ring. I guess the name relates to horses pulling a hackney cab and picking up their feet neatly at each step.

Re Outlaw, his father was a working farm kelpie. The right instinct is certainly there in Outlaw, but he never learned what to do with it. Sheep excite him greatly and he cannot be trusted anywhere near them. However, he does a wonderful job of guarding small children.

Gretel's ears: yup, there's a wallaby, gazelle or alien somewhere in the ancestry.

For those who don't know me, I am the human servant of this menagerie.

Satima Flavell said...

Aha - a child-herding Kelpie! Thats even better than herding cats, methinks. Outlaw is certainly good with littlies. A tiny boy ran up and hugged him once when we were out walking. My heart was in my mouth but Outlaw barely winced, even when the kid tried to investigate his eyes. Fortunately the lad's mum called him back just as I was trying to disuade him from getting too personal.

I reckon Gretel is part Alien. She comes from an off-world race of trotting wallabies that were used to pull carriages and sniff out a kind of truffle that smelt like sausage!:-)

I'm looking forward to reading your blog on The Trip, Juliet. If you let me know when it's up I'll post a link here as I'm sure other people will enjoy it, too. It's not often anyone from this part of the world does a trip to the Baltic!

Jo said...

Love your menagerie. Wish I still had one of my own.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...