About Me

My photo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
I am based in Perth, Western Australia. You might enjoy my books - The Dagger of Dresnia, the first book of the Talismans Trilogy, is available at all good online book shops as is Book two, The Cloak of Challiver. Book three, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation. I trained in piano and singing at the NSW Conservatorium of Music. I also trained in dance (Scully-Borovansky, WAAPA) and drama (NIDA). Since 1987 I have been writing reviews of performances in all genres for a variety of publications, including Music Maker, ArtsWest, Dance Australia, The Australian and others. Now semi-retired, I still write occasionally for the ArtsHub website.

My books

The first two books of my trilogy, The Talismans, (The Dagger of Dresnia, and book two, The Cloak of Challiver) are available in e-book format from Smashwords, Amazon and other online sellers. Book three of the trilogy, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation.I also have a short story, 'La Belle Dame', in print - see Mythic Resonance below - as well as well as a few poems in various places. The best way to contact me is via Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/satimaflavell

Buy The Talismans

The first two books of The Talismans trilogy were published by Satalyte Publications, which, sadly, has gone out of business. However, The Dagger of Dresnia and The Cloak of Challiver are available as ebooks on the usual book-selling websites, and book three, The Seer of Syland, is in preparation. The easiest way to contact me is via Facebook.

The Dagger of Dresnia

The Dagger of Dresnia

The Cloak of Challiver, Book two of The Talismans

The Cloak of Challiver, Book two of The Talismans
Available as an e-book on Amazon and other online booksellers.

Mythic Resonance

Mythic Resonance

Mythic Resonance is an excellent anthology that includes my short story 'La Belle Dame', together with great stories from Alan Baxter, Donna Maree Hanson, Sue Burstynski, Nike Sulway and nine more fantastic authors! Just $US3.99 from Amazon. Got a Kindle? Check out Mythic Resonance.

Follow me on Twitter

Share a link on Twitter

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Places I've lived: Manchester, UK

Places I've lived: Manchester, UK

Places I've lived: Gippsland, Australia

Places I've lived: Gippsland, Australia

Places I've lived: Geelong, Australia

Places I've lived: Geelong,  Australia

Places I've lived: Tamworth, NSW

Places I've lived: Tamworth, NSW

Places I've Lived - Sydney

Places I've Lived - Sydney
Sydney Conservatorium - my old school

Places I've lived: Auckland, NZ

Places I've lived: Auckland, NZ

Places I've Lived: Mount Gambier

Places I've Lived: Mount Gambier
Blue Lake

Places I've lived: Adelaide, SA

Places I've lived: Adelaide, SA

Places I've Lived: Perth by Day

Places I've Lived: Perth by Day
From Kings Park

Places I've lived: High View, WV

Places I've lived: High View, WV

Places I've lived: Lynton, Devon, UK

Places I've lived: Lynton, Devon, UK

Places I've lived: Braemar, Scotland

Places I've lived: Braemar, Scotland

Places I've lived: Barre, MA, USA

Places I've lived: Barre, MA, USA

Places I've Lived: Perth by Night

Places I've Lived: Perth by Night
From Kings Park

Inner Peace Blog

Inner Peace Blog
Awarded by Joanna Fay. Click on the image to visit her lovely website!

Versatile Blogger Award

Versatile Blogger Award
Awarded by Kim Falconer. Click on the pic to check out her Quantum Astrology blog!

Fabulous Blog Award

Fabulous Blog Award
Awarded by Kathryn Warner. Click on the pic to check out her Edward II blog!

Search This Blog

Sunday 12 October 2008

Walking with Freddie

My little black and tan friend Freddie is an energetic fellow. He loves to play and go walkies. He's also very keen to share my food! At four years old, he is still youthful, and he therefore has two speeds - full on and sleeping. He sleeps a lot, but as soon as he wakes up he's on the go, non-stop.

Now, I do not, by and large, walk - unless I have to. I think it has something to do with the fact that as a non-driver, I see walking as a means of getting from one place to another rather than a form of recreation. Freddie's owner Anudhara, on the other hand, is a lithe, leggy lady who loves walking, so Freddie's used to being exercised for a good hour every day. I explained to him that he would be short-changed with me, and he didn't seem to mind, so we've been been taking a reasonably fast half hour walk each day. Since Kwinana is about as well known to me as Timbuktu, we've been taking a slightly different route each time so that I can familiarise myself with the area. Two birds with one stone, so to speak. I was feeling quite proud of my initiative.

Nice idea, Satima, except that yesterday we got lost. Not terribly, terribly lost, you understand, but just a little bit lost so that we were walking for an hour instead of thirty minutes. Up hill and down dale we wandered, until we finally found a familiar street name and headed for home. But our adventures weren't over. There was stranger danger in store.

I should explain that Freddie's main ambition in life is to kill and eat a cat. So far, he has been spectacularly unsuccessful, since critters of the feline persuasion are generally far faster on their feet than little terriers, and what's more, they can climb. As a consolation prize, therefore, Freddie has decided that a German Shepherd might serve his hunting ambitions just as well. The fact the his ancestors mainly hail from north of the Humber and were therefore of rather short stature as dogs go does not faze our hero. Every time he sees an Alsatian - or, indeed, any other large dog - he breaks into a frenzy of barking, leaping towards the offending beast and dragging whoever is on the other end of the lead forward with him.

So of course yesterday, while I was already exhausted from unaccustomed excercise, we had to meet an Alsatian. Freddie had already made moves against the odd cat, with his usual lack of success, so he was determined not to let this opportunity pass. It was with great difficulty and not a little terror that the other dog walker and I managed to keep the pair apart.

Cross at being deprived of his prey, the gallant Freddie started up again at the sight of a distant Pomeranian. Forewarned being forearmed and all that, I prudently crossed the road and crossed my fingers that no other four legged being would come over the horizon. I was lucky - no more beasties of any description put in an appearance. I'd hate to see Freddie with a horse.

Freddie is good company. In his quieter moments, he loves to sit still and be brushed from head to toe. But not for long. To keep in training for the real thing, he has a toy cat to play with. Like any terrier, Freddie loves to hold one end of the prey while someone else - in this case, me - tugs on the other. I couldn't film with one hand and defend my end of the cat at the same time, but I did film a little of Freddie's cat-killing technique while he practised on his own.
Today we returned to a familiar route that involves only known dangers. And we didn't get lost, either. Forget adventure - a turn around the local park and a stroll alongside the golf course is a far safer bet.

Update on the WIP:

Six thousand words in three days. Two chapters to go. (Looks like I'll go over the target.)

10 comments:

Jo said...

Glad you got home safely after your long adventure. Looks like a cute little dog.

Well done with the writing, how are the sex scenes coming along?

Jo said...

I just noticed Glenda is reading Born in Death by J.D. Robb. A series I have been reading with enjoyment. Now there is a series of books with some good sex scenes in them, maybe you should read them if you haven't already.

Satima Flavell said...

Aha - thanks for the tip, Jo. I'll check 'em out. I haven't tackled my own yet - one more chapter to rough out and then I shall go back to the missing scenes. Amst I bovvered? Yes, I am...

Anonymous said...

Hi Satima

Freddie certainly gives one plenty of writing material!! He is a little character. Love that little dog - now a star of stage and screen!!

Check the bathroom scales - walking Freddie looses the pounds in no time!

Anudhara

Satima Flavell said...

You're right, Anudhara - since I've been doggiewalking I've lost several kilos. Not that it shows:-) I could lose ten or fifteen kilos and not look much different! but the exercise mmust be good for me. And Freddie:-) He loves his walk and quickly reminds me if I leave it much over the usual time.

hrugaar said...

Yes, the brisk walk for half an hour is good gentle exercise and helps trim down some weight - or so I am told by people who understand such things, and people who have enjoyed the benefits. I need to get back to walking more myself.

Freddie the terror terrier looks very cute. We have a few evil cats in this neighbourhood that I can point him toward, if he'd like to come and visit. :)

Marilyn Z. Tomlins said...

Satima --

Pace of work is impressive. Have you a secret on how to keep at it at your rate? If so, please reveal.

Marilyn

Satima Flavell said...

Freddie really wore me out today, Ru - a friend of my hostess came and took Freddie and me to the beach. He chased sticks, he swam, he got himself and us thoroughly worn out. I will be either ridiculously fit or dead by the time I finish this gig:-) Funny how being at the beach is so tiring! Of course, it was our first hot day - 30 degrees or thereabouts.

Marilyn, I don't always work at this pace, but working with the recommendations of Robert Olen Butler, who wrote a book on writing called "From Where You Dream", I've found my writing has freed up a lot and flows much better as long as I do it first thing in the morning. As Ru pointed out above, it means the mind is free of the daily grind as well as being fresh in one way yet still half asleep in another, and therefore in touch with the unconscious. I'd recommend any blocked or burnt out writer give it a go.

Anonymous said...

Hallo Satima,
it is quite some time I looked into your blogsport. I was pleased to read that you are still enjoying your favourite city Perth. And that you have started walking with a dog - I remembered our walk here in Germany. Here life is going on as usual and our little Leander, now 9 weeks old, has become a charming smiling little boy. Sampath has left yesterday for India for 4 weeks to meet his relatives. I am staying back - house-sitting and dog walking. You wrote about a nice CD from Russia - any CD you would like from Germany? Which type of music you would prefere? And is there a permanent address to post it? Please don't hesitate and let me know.
With best regards from Germany,
Elfriede

Satima Flavell said...

Hey, Elfriede, it's so good to hear from you! I hope you're enjoying being single for a change and that Sampath is enjoying his time with the folks at home. You must be delighted to have baby Leander to visit. They grow so fast at that age that Sampath will see a huge change when he gets back after four weeks! Anyhow, while I am house-sitting and dog walking here in Perth, I'll be thinking about you doing the same in Geisenheim. Give Karri a pat for me.

It's kind of you to offer me a CD, but I'd rather you didn't send me anything for Christmas this year. I'm unable to send presents myself due to financial constraints, so I'd be embarrassed if people sent me gifts. Anyhow, I still have those lively CDs of "Winter Music" and Gregorian chants from some years ago. I uploaded them to my laptop so I can listen to them wherever I am.

Do keep visiting my blog - have you thought of starting one of your own?

Hugs to everyone:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...